I am finally losing my fucking mind

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

I am finally losing my fucking mind

Post by Hero of the Day » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:42 pm

apparently I now see things that no one else sees.
this stems from the watermain break by my house that I have been going round and round with the city about.

Apparently even though I see flowing water and a big ass puddle on the lawn....they found no evidence of a leak.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f123/Hero_of_the_Day/

this all stemmed from me calling and inquiring why a pipe that broke later than (monday night) the one by me (ongoing since Jan 1 2005) was being fixed first.

some of you have already heard me bitch and moan about it, however I just gotta get my frustratiosns out before something bad happens. I figure I will kinda run this like a photo journal/ journal.

so lets see initial time line:
early march of last year: finally get someone to come out...they dont see a 36" pipe as that big of a deal. throw a barricade on it and show the foreman.
later on...utilities are all marked out for a repair....never happens
shortly after the foreman comes back and takes the barricade down

november notice it leaking good again ,call, but no one shows uo or they dont see the leak

dec 31: call again cause its real visible after the ground thaws out. Guy comes out....we confirm there is a leak. He puts in a call for a foreman to look at it.

apparently on Jan 2 the foreman came out and saw no evidence of leak (must have been blind) however he leaves the barricade.
today: supposedly someone is going to come out and look at it again. so far no sign of them.
Confidence comes in a brown bottle.

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:12 pm

Yeah, I'd be pissed too...

Was that inspector, per chance, Stevie Wonder, or Ray Charles' ghost?

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:00 pm

alot of shit got lost when the forums were down I see

anyhow they started working on friday march 24 (marking it out, jackhammering, cutting down the tree)
didnt show up again till the 28th and started digging
anyhow today they finally finished the pipework (the actual repair) so tomorrow they should start removing the shelf and backfilling
new pictures as well http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/Hero_of_the_Day/

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:12 am

Hero of the Day wrote:alot of shit got lost when the forums were down I see
Nah, sweet fuck all, actually. This was pretty much the only thread active for like a month before the old server went down. All that was lost was most of this thread, and two silly posts from HM and AB's "flamewar" over in the Blood & Fire forum. Barely any collateral damage at all. If there could ever be such a thing as a good time for a site to be going through a shitty slow period, that was definately it.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:59 pm

There was also a few posts in the video thread that went AWOL

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:35 am

Hellmark wrote:There was also a few posts in the video thread that went AWOL
Really? If you still have the links, you should repost those. I still haven't got around to checking any of them out. I'm such a lazy cunt.
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:19 am

I probably do have them somewhere, but the question is where

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:15 pm

ok they pulled the shaft and backfilled on wedneday
however they didnt tamp the sand very well, they used the backhoe to do most of the work and broke the driveway in the process
they put coldpath in the street, using pieces of board to make the curb, so its not even straight,
they fixed the sprinkler system but did it wrong (a plumber and an irrigation contractor are two different trades).
they they didnt have any topsoil...so they put another 2 inches of sand on top
its been like 460 days since the original break
the work is not totally finished, now we wait for a contractor to come out and redo the concrete (driveway approach, street, and neighbors sidewalk)
they also have to fix part of the neighbors lawn they tore up with the backhoe

so total damage: 10 square yards of sod on the neighbors lawn, 1 yard of the neighbors sidewalk (`3 slabs) 1 driveway approach, the street they chiseled out and sod for the whole lawn btwn the sidewalk and the street

link to pics http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/ ... edia=image

I will update this as shit happens (sinkholes etc)

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:39 am

Hey, got kind of a funny story to tell you guys, that's related to this topic.

Last Saturday night, I was over at FiFo's place, having a few drinks, playing some cards, kicking back, when suddenly the water main across the road bursts. The guy's lawn was just this big pond hole like in Hero's original photos, basically, and water pooling out into the street and all over the place.

Now, it's Saturday night, about midnight or so, and it's pissing with rain. I'm talking unfriendly weather.

Within the HOUR, the first guy arrives on the scene and begins repairs. FiFo and I are standing out on his doorstep thinking we should go out and give this guy a beer or something. He's out there, by himself, in the pissing rain, at 1am on a Saturday night, digging up this fucked water main. But y'know, it's like, raining, so we stayed inside.

An hour later, the second guy shows up with the other truck, and they finish patching it all up. By dawn, they stretch of road they had to pull up, plus the pavement and the dude's driveway have been neatly asphalted over (how they pulled that off in the rain I'll never know!) and the lawn patch was filled over with soil. If it weren't for the lack of grass on that small section of dirt, you'd never know there was work done recently. They had to cut FiFo's water for about an hour while they repaired the actual piping, but it was back on by the time they were cleaning up.

Overall time between original breach to fully repaired - somewhere between 2-6 hours. In the rain. On a Saturday night.

FWIW, this is in the outer suburbs, practically scumville. Not a major US capital city, like Detroit, Michigan. Blows the mind, don't it?
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:25 pm

Detroit is notoriously problematic (all the suburbs work circles around us)
hold on to your pants we have 2 backhoes per yard (I think we have 5 yards norht south east, central and west?, I dont really know) any how each yard handles one district. And we average 50 main breaks a day, hell its so bad during the winter we usually hire contractors so the breaks can get fixed without it taking 6 months. Also no overtime pay allowed for any workers including mechanics, which leads to ill maintained equipment (its pathetic when the compressors that power the jackhammers dont even run right)

now a little tidbit about the main by me: The main was installed in 1929, I believe it is made of either pit cast or ductile iron and has caulked led joints every 14 feet
they have done damn near every joint between warren and michigan avenue along telegraph. (its a nice distance belive me, if not pull up a map). Sometimes they just "recaulk" (repack the cold lead) them. When they have money they put a clamp on them

ps Karl that main by your buddy's house was likely either an 8-12" main or else a break on the service running to the house. (Just guessing I have no fucking idea what materials you use or the average diameter of residential watermains in australia.

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Sat May 06, 2006 12:07 am

ok for some updates

Lawn and Concrete (DWSD lawn & concrete division) was in the neighborhood last thursday, measuring and marking out concrete they were going to replace and sod they were fixing where they fucked up lawns
(got lucky usually its a two or three year wait)
Yesterday the contractor came out with a Wet Saw and made the necessary saw cuts in the street. Now presumably sometime next week they will be out rip out the sections of street.
pics as they become available

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Sat May 06, 2006 12:23 am

Fucking lead, for one it shouldn't be "repacked" cold it should be caulked back in Hot for a better seal as far as I know. But damn lead wow, how many retards live in the neighbor hood? That shit can fuck you up over long periods of time.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Sat May 06, 2006 1:27 am

Can anybody find statistics on how much lead piping they use in St. Joseph, Missouri? I think we've just found an interesting connection, there... >=P
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Sun May 07, 2006 12:24 am

cdoublejj wrote:Fucking lead, for one it shouldn't be "repacked" cold it should be caulked back in Hot for a better seal as far as I know. But damn lead wow, how many retards live in the neighbor hood? That shit can fuck you up over long periods of time.
The main does not directly feed my neighborhoodl. Also the water is tested reguarly and there is a yearly report published. Additionally the Federal action level (if this concentration is exceeded treatment or other action must be taken) for lead is 5 micrograms per liter.

1929 dude...on a main this big... thats the only way they did em at the time
cant change it without replacing the pipe

what happens is the lead pushes out of the joint (the bell part), what they do is basically use a square punch in an air chipper (like a small jackhammer) to force the led back in. They cannot remove and relead it mainly because it would be a nightmare to get the EPA to allow it.
what they did after repacking it is use hydraulic cement to make a level surface then installed a transition clamp to keep the lead in place.

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Sun May 07, 2006 6:12 pm

Ven you stole the words out of my mouth.