Smokers' etiquette?

Created out of my passionate hatred for bigoted non-smokers who can't help themselves but go on an arrogant tirade about the evils of smoking every time they encounter a smoker, this is a place where lovers of tobacco can gather without prejudice.
desikitteh
Ven's P.A.

Smokers' etiquette?

Post by desikitteh » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 am

So, what are your rules for yourself about being a "polite" smoker?

mine:
1. Don't smoke around a non-smoker.
2. Don't litter - ESPECIALLY in bushfire season.
3. Don't use someone else's zippo without permission.
4. Never steal lighters.

and go.
Suck it up, BUTTERCUP!

Hellhound

Polite smokers

Post by Hellhound » Thu May 29, 2014 10:44 am

I do not smoke around kids
I try to field strip and pocket my remains if there is no place for them
When in the field (out hiking etc.) I am very conscious about seasonal condition.
Don’t bogard someone else’s lighter (theft is just wrong)
Don't take cigs without asking (I tend to remove or break fingers for that)

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri May 30, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm not much of a fan of smoker's etiquette. I won't smoke in the house or car of a non-smoker, or of a smoker if it's their preference to not do so themselves. I won't go out of my way to blow smoke on children, but if they come up and get in my face while I'm smoking that's not my problem. I wouldn't leave butts in parkland or wilderness areas, but I'm not outdoorsy so that's really no issue for me. Unless I already have a comfortable rapport with a person, I won't smoke while they're eating without asking if it's okay first. I don't care if people smoke around me while I'm eating but that's just me.

I never steal lighters. That's my biggest pet peeve. I know some people who chronically pocket any lighter they touch, it's crazy. Not me.

What are you guys' thoughts on giving smokes to beggars and bums? I've come to rely on a system whereby if somebody asks to scab a smoke off me I'll generally say no, but if somebody asks if they can buy a cig with their spare change (happens more than you'd think!) I offer them one for free instead, simply because they were courteous enough to offer to pay in the first place and weren't just cruising for a hand-out.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

desikitteh
Ven's P.A.

Post by desikitteh » Sat May 31, 2014 12:50 am

Venomous wrote:What are you guys' thoughts on giving smokes to beggars and bums? I've come to rely on a system whereby if somebody asks to scab a smoke off me I'll generally say no, but if somebody asks if they can buy a cig with their spare change (happens more than you'd think!) I offer them one for free instead, simply because they were courteous enough to offer to pay in the first place and weren't just cruising for a hand-out.
yeah, i think i'd be more inclined to give a smoke to someone who didn't expect me to. although depending on the day/my mood i might make an exception if i thought someone was having a really rough time.
Suck it up, BUTTERCUP!