Big Brother Is Watching You Miss All Your Favorite TV Shows

Do you linger on my every word like a lovesick schoolgirl? Or would you like to take a rusty ice pick to my jugular to make me shut the hell up? For, or against? Point, counterpoint? Discuss.

Moderator: Jackie

User avatar
Venomous
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Social Deviancy
Contact:

Post by Venomous » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:15 am

Tyranny wrote:Okay, that's weird. If anything should be on FOX Classics, it should be The Simpsons. How many milennia has this show been running for now? Oh! And Futurama, just because it rocks.
Coming up on sixteen millenia - errm, I mean years - now. Not a bad effort, I have to say. And though some of the middle seasons had a slight slump in humor value, I have to say, overall the series is as good as it ever was.

In today's TV world, where almost anything even remotely enjoyable is axed after the first season, you gotta respect shows like The Simpsons and Law & Order that are still kicking well into their second decades.

(By comparison, for interest's sake, that miserable excuse for television that is Everybody Loves Raymond ran for less than nine years before it got canned, which happened less than three months ago - so whether you go by how old the show is OR how long it ran for, how the fuck does that shit classify as a Fox Classic, alongside ancient classics like M*A*S*H, Rockford Files, Remington Steele, etc.?? Spot the odd show out, really...)

On a side note, the longest running TV show ever, according to three mins on Google/Epguides, seems to have been Gunsmoke - the show ran for 20 years, from '55 to '75, with a total of 635 eps and five TV movies. They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

Hey, wow... if The Simpsons can last for less than four years longer, it will officially break the world record... interesting....
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Tyranny

Post by Tyranny » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:27 am

Venomous wrote:Coming up on sixteen millenia - errm, I mean years - now. Not a bad effort, I have to say. And though some of the middle seasons had a slight slump in humor value, I have to say, overall the series is as good as it ever was.
I've always loved it, even when the comedy got more random... I think Matt was concentrating on Futurama so ultimately The Simpsons suffered the slump in funny.
Venomous wrote:In today's TV world, where almost anything even remotely enjoyable is axed after the first season, you gotta respect shows like The Simpsons and Law & Order that are still kicking well into their second decades.

(By comparison, for interest's sake, that miserable excuse for television that is Everybody Loves Raymond ran for less than nine years before it got canned, which happened less than three months ago - so whether you go by how old the show is OR how long it ran for, how the fuck does that shit classify as a Fox Classic, alongside ancient classics like M*A*S*H, Rockford Files, Remington Steele, etc.?? Spot the odd show out, really...)
Don't forget The Dukes of Hazzard!! I can't wait for the movie, even if it does have Jessica Simpson in it (she won't be wearing or saying much -- not much of a stretch for her as Daisy now, is it? :mrgreen: )
Venomous wrote:On a side note, the longest running TV show ever, according to three mins on Google/Epguides, seems to have been Gunsmoke - the show ran for 20 years, from '55 to '75, with a total of 635 eps and five TV movies. They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

Hey, wow... if The Simpsons can last for less than four years longer, it will officially break the world record... interesting....
That's really cool! I don't think Matt will have a problem keeping the show running. Maybe one day the kids will be adults!... naaaaaaaaah...


T.

User avatar
Venomous
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Social Deviancy
Contact:

Post by Venomous » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:36 pm

Tyranny wrote:I've always loved it, even when the comedy got more random... I think Matt was concentrating on Futurama so ultimately The Simpsons suffered the slump in funny.
If that was the price to bring us the goodness of Futurama, then I for one declare that it was worth it. =)
Tyranny wrote:Don't forget The Dukes of Hazzard!! I can't wait for the movie, even if it does have Jessica Simpson in it (she won't be wearing or saying much -- not much of a stretch for her as Daisy now, is it? :mrgreen: )
Hmmm, those two factors make Jessica Simpson sound suddenly very appealing - in fact, I don't think I'd ever want to see her any other way. =)
Tyranny wrote:That's really cool! I don't think Matt will have a problem keeping the show running. Maybe one day the kids will be adults!... naaaaaaaaah...
No, that's just stupid.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Tyranny

Post by Tyranny » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:29 am

Venomous wrote:If that was the price to bring us the goodness of Futurama, then I for one declare that it was worth it. =)
Oh, I second that, that's for sure!
Venomous wrote:Hmmm, those two factors make Jessica Simpson sound suddenly very appealing - in fact, I don't think I'd ever want to see her any other way. =)
What, scantily clad and not saying anything? Isn't that how most men like their women? :twisted:
Venomous wrote:No, that's just stupid.
Maybe there'll be more futuristic episodes. I think that's the closest we'll ever get to them growing up.


T.

User avatar
Venomous
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Social Deviancy
Contact:

Post by Venomous » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:01 am

Tyranny wrote:What, scantily clad and not saying anything? Isn't that how most men like their women?
Depends on the woman, for me at least. If she's intelligent (and I'm sure one day I'll meet one that is! =P), I'd prefer her scantily clad and conversational. =P
Tyranny wrote:Maybe there'll be more futuristic episodes. I think that's the closest we'll ever get to them growing up.
Nah, I don't see them going out of their way to do that, either. If it aint broke, don't fix it - what they're doing already is working just fine...
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:44 am

Tyranny wrote: Don't forget The Dukes of Hazzard!! I can't wait for the movie, even if it does have Jessica Simpson in it (she won't be wearing or saying much --
Is that not the only reasion to watch such a film?? Well that and watching old cars doing impossible stunts. That's all movies seem to have in them these days... not that I'm complaining but I can't remember the last new movie I've seen that actualy made you stop & think.

User avatar
Venomous
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Social Deviancy
Contact:

Post by Venomous » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:47 pm

Ambrosia wrote:I can't remember the last new movie I've seen that actualy made you stop & think.
When was the last time anything made you stop and think?? >=P
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:01 am

Venomous wrote: When was the last time anything made you stop and think?? >=P
I think quite a bit thank you very much. Tis not my fult you don't see it =P And at least when I do think unlike some people, I think with my head not other parts of my anatomy =P

Tyranny

Post by Tyranny » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:20 pm

Don't know about you, but I'm gonna go see it coz I liked the show! ...*mumbling* and Johnny Knoxville... :roll: :lol: (yeah yeah, shuddup...)


T.

Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:01 am

Johnny who?? I'll probable see it too when it's realeased on cable. But I'm not keen on spending $16 on movies.... unless I'm buying the DVD and it lives on my shelf =)

Renae the Boozehound

Post by Renae the Boozehound » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:20 am

Yes, I have to admit, I'd probably go and see The Dukes of Hazzard partially for the Johnny Knoxville factor... He's definately got something!~ Yum! As for Jessica Simpson, yak yak and still more yak. I want to see that new Bill Murray movie that's out in the U.S at the moment. Not sure what it's called, but after seeing him in Lost in Translation, I'm totally up for anything he's in. But, meh, I don't get to the flicks that much, so I'll be lucky if I see either of 'em! Go pirate DVDs!~ Woo!

--Renae

User avatar
Venomous
Site Admin
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Social Deviancy
Contact:

Post by Venomous » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:41 am

Ambrosia wrote:Johnny who?? I'll probable see it too when it's realeased on cable. But I'm not keen on spending $16 on movies.... unless I'm buying the DVD and it lives on my shelf =)
Johnny Knoxville. Made famous by applying an electrical pulse device to his perianal region (aka. the "gooch") and sending a significant electrical current through his testicles and anus in the process.

Erm, that is to say, he was one of the main dudes in the "Jackass" movie.

And yeah, I'm the same - not much keen on the cinemas these days, when for $2-3 extra at worst, I can just buy the movie on DVD a few weeks later and own it myself forever. I think it's only a matter of time until movie cinemas go the way of the drive-in pictures and become a rare novelty instead of a regular part of our society. The ever dropping prices for fancy home theatre equipment and the DVD industry that is releasing movies closer and closer to their cinema release date, and at lower and lower prices... soon everybody will just buy DVDs to watch on their huge fancy home cinema setups, and commercial cinemas will be history...
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Supernovae
Desperately Bored Loser
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Post by Supernovae » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:42 pm

Venomous wrote:commercial cinemas will be history...
I hope so - because at $9.75 a movie per person (plus the prices for food/drinks) It's becoming quite expensive to watch a movie with someone.

Now, as far as the Dukes of Hazzard movie - I heard that Jessica Simpson is only in like 10-15 mins of the movie tops. So they are really using her publicity as a driving force for the movie. Burt Reynolds does an ok job but Jackie Gleason would have made a FAR FAR better boss hog in the movie (if he wasn't dead)

For those that dont remember, watch the old Smokey and the Bandit movies. (Sheriff Buford T Justice)

-SRR

User avatar
MP81
Chronic Spammer
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:34 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Post by MP81 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:55 am

"MY NAME IS SHERRIF BUFORD T. JUSTICE, A RESPECTED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OF OVER 25 YEARS SERVICE"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest