Some people will do anything to make a buck online...

Do you linger on my every word like a lovesick schoolgirl? Or would you like to take a rusty ice pick to my jugular to make me shut the hell up? For, or against? Point, counterpoint? Discuss.

Moderator: Jackie

Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Post by Mythic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:32 pm

I *never* refused to post here. When I was working I had a significant time issue and now that I'm stuck at home with a broken leg I have nothing to contribute to any conversation, much less likely the boys club conversation that was going on the last few times I've checked in. The only possible thing that I could have added to that conversation would have been my own dated teenage sexual experiences with an older man which really didn't apply! I have actually been thinking of posting my own rants over technical support and doctor's offices, but I need to be off of the morphine for a while before I do so.

I can complain about something on e-bay at the moment, which Karl knows about already, and that is a shipment of an item that I won 3 weeks ago. My argument mainly being that it has *not* shipped and I am *not* pleased. The seller has an excellent feedback rating and has not responded to the message that I sent him. That, in my book, makes him as much of a con artist as one trying to spritual images on food items or business' based in outerspace.
Always Dancing in the Shadows.

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:32 am

Kris you too? Very beginning of the month, I won an auction for wireless Apple keyboard, paid for it within 12 hours via paypal, and here it is 2/3 of the month gone, yet the item hasnt even been shipped. The place has a great feedback amount (27,000), but this month alone they've had over 100 negitive feed backs for not shipping items (Where as they've been on ebay for over 3 years and had 500 negitives to this point. Every time I've tried to contact them, its slow response, and I get some song and dance.

Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Post by Mythic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:51 am

It would be my luck to be one of the .5% to have to post negative feedback. My mom ran across a crappy deal a bit ago, she auctioned for some pictures that looked really nice on the site....won them for $5 a piece, seller had excellent feedback rating, but after some time she still had not recieved her pictures. She contacted the seller and was told that the seller's mother had just passed and that way why they were late, mom said she understood and let it be.....still time went by and no pictures, so she contacted the seller again......seller was moving, sorry for the inconvenience, so, ok, a little frustrated but mom let it go. Still no pictures, she contacts seller again....seller says husband has left her and she is having a nervous breakdown but will send the pics. FINALLY, mom get's the pictures. Two pieces of cut out wallpaper that was not even cut straight. Mom went to so much trouble for them, that she posted the negative feedback saying what happened, straightened the edges of the pictures, matted and framed them. They look okay now..but still...it's cut up wall paper....what a scam.

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:37 am

My mom had one auction where she never got the things, guy claims he sent them, but refused to show the "proof" he claimed he had. Finally, like 2 months later, she got the stuff, left a neutral feedback for the guy. He leaves her a negitive bitching her out, then uses the form on ebay to get the address and phone number for a person, then procedes to call her up and start screaming at her. I picked up the phone first, and he instantly starts yelling at me, calling my mom all sorts of names and demands to talk to her. I hand it over, she listens to the guy for a bit (he said he was upset because he had never had anything but a positive feedback before and this tarnished his record), and hangs up on him when he starts getting really bad. He kept calling back for a few days like that.

Another time, I ordered a bridge for my strat after I snapped a trem arm off in my old one. Won an auction, the lady had a good feedback rating. Then all of a sudden she started getting shitloads of negitive feedback, from not sending the items. I keep trying to get a hold of her, and she says "oh I just sent it" or "it'll go out tuesday" or some bullshit. Then finally she says "Its backordered". At that point I say, fuck this shit, get the papers from the gov't to file mail fraud charges (since I mailed a USPS money order via the US Postal Service), and let her know. I say she has 1 week to get me the item I paid for, or I'd file the charges. Heh, what do you know, express package arrives in 3 or so days with my bridge. I left my feedback saying that I got it but went to drastic measures, and soon there after I had a bunch of people emailing to ask what I did. I told them, and hey, what do you know, she sent emails to everyone who had problems that she had sent their packages, and had also threw in freebies (like I got a patch cord), and they really got them that time.

Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Post by Mythic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:45 am

He called your mother at home? I only *wish* mine would call me at home....there wouldn't be a second time unless he's just hard core for some major verbal abuse.

Sounds like the second one came out sweet, though. You were lucky with that she actually had the items to send you...I'm starting to wonder about my seller..

Tickle

Post by Tickle » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:58 am

I bought something from there once and it took a month and a half to arrive. The seller never replied to my queries while I was waiting.

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:12 pm

Kris wrote:He called your mother at home? I only *wish* mine would call me at home....there wouldn't be a second time unless he's just hard core for some major verbal abuse.

Sounds like the second one came out sweet, though. You were lucky with that she actually had the items to send you...I'm starting to wonder about my seller..
My mom bitched him down one side and up the other, he just was nuts.

On the second one, she went out and bought the crap to send people because she didnt have it and didnt want to goto jail.
Last edited by Hellmark on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Post by Mythic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:20 pm

Mine would be hard pressed to go out and buy it as it is discontinued.....<shrugs> I sent him another message today.....tomorrow he's toast.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:21 pm

Kris wrote:I can complain about something on e-bay at the moment, which Karl knows about already, and that is a shipment of an item that I won 3 weeks ago. My argument mainly being that it has *not* shipped and I am *not* pleased. The seller has an excellent feedback rating and has not responded to the message that I sent him. That, in my book, makes him as much of a con artist as one trying to spritual images on food items or business' based in outerspace.
Yeah, I'm feeling really burnt by eBay at the moment. Aside from those items Kris is waiting on (which, mind you, I tried to buy with my account first, but the seller wouldn't ship internationally or accept non-US bids through eBay, though he was quite happy to sell them to me direct via email!! =/), I'm also waiting for four games from two sellers, one from Wisconsin paid for on 28-Aug-05, the other from Canada who was paid on 02-Sep-05. It's now 19-Oct-05 - six weeks and five days since the second seller was paid, seven weeks and three days since the first guy was. Still no parcel in the mail from either of them. Now, I know international surface shipping from the US to AU can take up to eight weeks, but that's an upper cap - not a guaranteed minimum. I've been buying things from the US to AU via eBay for over seven years now, and things generally don't take the absolutely maximum time frame to arrive unless something's gone wrong!! But yeah, all I can do is wait another fortnight, and if they still haven't arrived, start poking around.

I gotta say, they're crafty though... since six weeks is the maximum time you have to charge back a PayPal payment if somebody rips you off, but international shipping may take up to eight weeks to arrive... {rolls eyes} By the time I know if I'm being ripped off or not, it's too late to do anything about it!! =/

But yeah, this guy Kristi mentioned... I exchanged a few emails with him originally before she bid... refused to take PayPal payments, refused to ship internationally, and then, when I asked him if there was any way I could buy his products, at any costs, he said sure, but refused to do it through eBay. Like he wanted to avoid any possible method or tracking/tracing he could. But hell, I was blinded by his tens of thousands of positive Power Seller feedback. Figured somebody who's made so many successful sales couldn't possibly just be an outright scam artist. {sigh}
Hellmark wrote:Kris you too? Very beginning of the month, I won an auction for wireless Apple keyboard, paid for it within 12 hours via paypal, and here it is 2/3 of the month gone, yet the item hasnt even been shipped. The place has a great feedback amount (27,000), but this month alone they've had over 100 negitive feed backs for not shipping items (Where as they've been on ebay for over 3 years and had 500 negitives to this point. Every time I've tried to contact them, its slow response, and I get some song and dance.
Whoah, back up - you knew this guy had over 100 negative feedback points in the last month, all for not shipping items, and yet you purchased anyway?!? Holy crap dude, if you want to get rid of your money so badly, just send it to me!!
Kris wrote:It would be my luck to be one of the .5% to have to post negative feedback. My mom ran across a crappy deal a bit ago, she auctioned for some pictures that looked really nice on the site....won them for $5 a piece, seller had excellent feedback rating, but after some time she still had not recieved her pictures. She contacted the seller and was told that the seller's mother had just passed and that way why they were late, mom said she understood and let it be.....still time went by and no pictures, so she contacted the seller again......seller was moving, sorry for the inconvenience, so, ok, a little frustrated but mom let it go. Still no pictures, she contacts seller again....seller says husband has left her and she is having a nervous breakdown but will send the pics. FINALLY, mom get's the pictures. Two pieces of cut out wallpaper that was not even cut straight. Mom went to so much trouble for them, that she posted the negative feedback saying what happened, straightened the edges of the pictures, matted and framed them. They look okay now..but still...it's cut up wall paper....what a scam.
Love the sob stories. I helped a guy pull the same scam a while back when he won an auction but then couldn't rake together the money to pay for it. Helped him come up with all kinds of excuses. Far as I'm concerned, business is business. I don't care if you've been hit by a train and you're in a coma, give me my fucking product or my money back, or reap the whirlwind, baby.
Hellmark wrote:My mom had one auction where she never got the things, guy claims he sent them, but refused to show the "proof" he claimed he had. Finally, like 2 months later, she got the stuff, left a neutral feedback for the guy. He leaves her a negitive bitching her out, then uses the form on ebay to get the address and phone number for a person, then procedes to call her up and start screaming at her. I picked up the phone first, and he instantly starts yelling at me, calling my mom all sorts of names and demands to talk to her. I hand it over, she listens to the guy for a bit (he said he was upset because he had never had anything but a positive feedback before and this tarnished his record), and hangs up on him when he starts getting really bad. He kept calling back for a few days like that.
Whoah, what?! How the fuck did he get your home address and phone number?!? Where the hell is that feature on eBay?? {rushes to change his eBay userinfo to fake details} I've never heard of such a thing. What a nutcase though, willing to earn himself criminal charges for one lousy neutral feedback point on eBay - not even a negative!! Maniac fuck.

I've learnt over the years that if you're not happy with somebody on eBay, unless they've already posted your positive feedback, then post nothing. Just forget it happened and move on, if you care about your own feedback rating. Too many fucking assholes out there who will post retaliatory negative on you even if you did everything perfectly from your end, just because you called them out on their fuckup. I have a 100% positive feedback rating, and I keep it that way by not antagonizing fuckers who could post a negative for me just out of spite.

I got ripped off bigtime a while back - somebody was telling a "complete e-commerce website and domain name, with established traffic" for a very good price. I bought it, and it turned out there WAS no traffic, the "complete e-commerce website" was just a free vStore affiliate program they'd placed on the site, and they tried to get away with not actually transferring the domain to me as well - figured I was some kind of idiot n00b who wouldn't notice if they just changed the contact details on the domain to my details, and not actually file a transfer. Oh, and they tried to con me into paying them a monthly fee to host the "site" on their server too, which since there was no site, was a joke. I fought them tooth and nail for the domain transfer, won in the end, but I never made a cent from it, and let it go a few years later. They refused to post feedback for me until I posted for them though, and I had nothing whatsoever nice to say about them, so I didn't say anything at all.

One seller I'm dealing with now is pissing me off also - the auction's closed, the item has been paid for, sent, and received, and I've posted positive feedback for him, but he refuses to post mine in return! He's just stopped answering my emails, I've asked him several times if there's any reason he hasn't posted feedback for me, but to no avail. That sort of thing just plain shits me. Selfish prick. I wish I could retract my feedback from him now and withhold it until he posts mine. =/
Hellmark wrote:Another time, I ordered a bridge for my strat after I snapped a trem arm off in my old one. Won an auction, the lady had a good feedback rating. Then all of a sudden she started getting shitloads of negitive feedback, from not sending the items. I keep trying to get a hold of her, and she says "oh I just sent it" or "it'll go out tuesday" or some bullshit. Then finally she says "Its backordered". At that point I say, fuck this shit, get the papers from the gov't to file mail fraud charges (since I mailed a USPS money order via the US Postal Service), and let her know. I say she has 1 week to get me the item I paid for, or I'd file the charges. Heh, what do you know, express package arrives in 3 or so days with my bridge. I left my feedback saying that I got it but went to drastic measures, and soon there after I had a bunch of people emailing to ask what I did. I told them, and hey, what do you know, she sent emails to everyone who had problems that she had sent their packages, and had also threw in freebies (like I got a patch cord), and they really got them that time.
Now THAT is a classic man... fucking good work!! You caught a filthy scammer right out in the act, and what's more, forced her to fix up everybody she'd tried to scam as well, not just yourself! I wish there were ways to catch them all out like this. I hope she ended up having to pay out of her own pocket hugely just to appease everybody she tried to rip off to avoid legal action...

Ahh well... back to waiting for my two parcels to arrive, and my elusive feedback point from the other guy... you know, one of the sellers whose parcel hasn't arrived yet has already posted me positive feedback? I think that's the way it should always be - the seller posts the buyer feedback as soon as they pay (ie. the buyer has fulfilled his end of the transaction to satisfaction), and then the buyer posts the seller's feedback when the item is received satisfactorily. None of this give and take shit - the whole feedback system has just become a farce now, a currency of reputation, where everybody seems to think they only have to post positive feedback when the other person posts some for them first. Assholes.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:34 pm

On the one with 100 negitive feedbacks in this month, they all came AFTER I won the auction. I won at the very beginning of the month, and the negatives didnt start rolling in till a couple days later.

And yeah, ebay has a form buried somewhere, where if you are the buyer or seller, you can request the other person's contact information. The other person gets notified and gets shown the address of the opposite party also.

On people that wont post positives afterward, yeah I deal with that all the time. Last few months I've got like 6-8 who wouldnt do that. I paid for the item within hours of end of auction, I emailed them when I got it, telling them I liked it and had already left positive feed back, etc. Bastards

As far as the thing goes on the scammer, yeah, if I could help others out at no extra expense or time, why not? Was easy, and I enjoyed doing it. Plus I regularly like going through and fucking with scammers.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 pm

Hellmark wrote:As far as the thing goes on the scammer, yeah, if I could help others out at no extra expense or time, why not? Was easy, and I enjoyed doing it. Plus I regularly like going through and fucking with scammers.
Oh, absolutely man... I think that's utterly commendable... if more people out there were willing to make the effort, eBay (and the whole internet, for that matter!) would be a safer and hence more enjoyable place to trade!
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:46 pm

I used to snag scam artists selling guitar shit all the time. Once a guy tried to sell a guitar, gave serial and everything. I traced the serial number, and it was for the same guitar he claimed it was for, but the guy wasnt the owner. He went into a guitar shop, took photos of a rare display guitar, and then tried selling it. bidding got up to around $5000 before I had the auction pulled. The real owner was pissed, because he wasnt selling the guitar, as it was a personal guitar of his.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:56 pm

Hellmark wrote:I used to snag scam artists selling guitar shit all the time. Once a guy tried to sell a guitar, gave serial and everything. I traced the serial number, and it was for the same guitar he claimed it was for, but the guy wasnt the owner. He went into a guitar shop, took photos of a rare display guitar, and then tried selling it. bidding got up to around $5000 before I had the auction pulled. The real owner was pissed, because he wasnt selling the guitar, as it was a personal guitar of his.
Man, nice. I just wish there was more one could do about fuckers like these. I mean, it's all fine and good to post negative feedback, file a complaint with eBay, get their auctions closed, maybe even get their accounts locked down in some extreme cases, but these scum need jail time, or at least hefty fines! That's why I loved your story about the mail fraud woman - legal action makes things interesting! But hey, every little bit counts I guess, but it just reminds me of when I used to actively fight spam - I used to fully report all spam I got, and fully up the reports, and liase with ISPs until the spammer had all their accounts closed down. It was damn satisfying, and for a while I felt like I was making the world a better place, but in the end, for every spammer's account I took three days to shut down, ten more have spent the ten minutes it takes to open new accounts elsewhere. Was like trying to empty the ocean one teaspoon at a time, as they say. Nowadays, my spam policy is much like my "don't bother posting negative feedback on eBay" policy - delete it, ignore it, move on...
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Problem with spammers, is that they isnt really that many. Last report I've heard is that there are only like 300 doing 90% of all spam. They even have their own companies now that shield and protect them.

Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Post by Mythic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:55 am

I wonder how the guy figured he was going to get his 5000 dollars and not send a guitar and get buy with it......You'd really have to do some scheming to come up with a good enough excuse for that!