Does anybody give a shit about my OS reinstallation?

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.

Should Venomous engage his worst nightmare and reinstall Windows?

Hell yes! What's the big fucking deal? Suck it up man, do you have anything better to do with your free time?!
25%
I don't see what the big deal is. All that stuff still sounds better than a glitchy system. Reinstall.
25%
I couldn't give a fuck about you and your problems. Shut up.
25%
That sounds like a nightmare. I'd try to avoid it if I were you. How bad can these glitches be?
13%
Reinstalling Windows makes baby Jesus cry!! Don't do it man, you're depressed enough!!
13%

Total votes: 8

Venomous
Site Admin

Does anybody give a shit about my OS reinstallation?

Post by Venomous » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:57 pm

Hey, just for shits and giggles (and because nobody fucking posts here anymore and the forum is about as dry as my cock after three years of no poontang), I thought I'd ask if anybody here actually gives a shit that I'm probably going to have to spend the next month of my life reinstalling my OS and every fucking game and program on it.

From the chat room conversations on the topic, I know many of you at best, don't get what the big deal is, or at worst, couldn't give a flying fuck. I don't want to make an article or rant out of this, but I'll just quickly describe what's involved, for people who don't get it and may be bored enough to pretend they care:-

1) Back up all installed programs (including games) to preserve all configurations, settings, profiles, histories, saved games, and whatever else.

2) Format boot partition.

3) Re-install Windows 2000 Corporate Pro on boot partition.

4) Reinstall every single device driver and hardware support application, including video and audio card utilities, and manually configure them all for optimal hardware performance.

5) Install TweakUI, RegWorks, DirectX, and ever other little config or support application needed to make Windows personalized and functional for my specific needs.

6) Reinstall every single application (more than 100+ apps currently in my Program Files directory) and every single game (another 100+ currently installed, most of which depend upon emulation of some kind, with third-party programs with settings tweaked a certain way, to actually work properly) on my system.

7) Copy over, from my backup, the configurations, settings, profiles, histories, saved games, and whatever else I need from all my old applications, and/or manually set up over 200+ pieces of software again by hand, from scratch.

8) Take several Xanax, wash down with vodka.

9) Watch in slightly drug-subdued horror as most of my games and applications either no longer work, or work but have lost all their settings and configurations.

Now, since I began this post, I've had a tiny ray of hope that somebody may yet be able to help me fix the problems I've been having, and thus avoid the aforementioned nightmare. But regardless, I ask of anybody reading this, what do you think about my position? What would you do in my place?
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:53 pm

and how is it any worse than the bullshit you've already gone through? Done this in the first place, you'd be sittin pretty by now.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:30 pm

Like fuck I would. You got no sense of time, boy? Even if I'd started the day I got the new HDDs, I'd still be reinstalling/reconfiguring shit today. The process takes months, dude. You, you've been using Linux so long you don't even remember what a fucking asshole Windows is, so your vote doesn't count.

To the secret anonymous person who voted against reinstalling, my kudos to you.

I still think Westy might be able to fix the glitches. They're such small things, really. I'm sure it must be only a small handful of corrupt files, which can be fixed with just a very simple procedure or two... just gotta find out how!
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:31 pm

that was me. I am a windows user through and through (Because I am too lazy to learn Linux and alot of the real world runs on windows).

I have done upgrades, reinstalls, clean installs on new machines, and attempted to move files from one windows machine to another. Every time there has been something that has given me a giant headache (missing/damaged files, total loss of data etc).
Confidence comes in a brown bottle.

Supernovae
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Supernovae » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:10 am

Venomous wrote:I still think Westy might be able to fix the glitches. They're such small things, really. I'm sure it must be only a small handful of corrupt files, which can be fixed with just a very simple procedure or two... just gotta find out how!
Which files are corrupt, btw? If they are simply windows files, then I can help you figure it out.
A deviant mind at rest has no function here.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:39 am

Hero of the Day wrote:that was me. I am a windows user through and through (Because I am too lazy to learn Linux and alot of the real world runs on windows).
I'm the same. When Linux becomes a viable, compatible alternative for the average non-geek end-user, and can do everything my Windows box does now, including gaming, I'll make the switch. Until then, I can't justify being without that compatibility, no matter how much I utterly despise Windows - and I do!
Hero of the Day wrote:I have done upgrades, reinstalls, clean installs on new machines, and attempted to move files from one windows machine to another. Every time there has been something that has given me a giant headache (missing/damaged files, total loss of data etc).
I hear ya man. Nothing good ever comes from tampering with Windows. I've had a good run this time though - got four years or so out of this Windows 2000 system being almost as solid as a Linux box, with perfect uptimes, crash-free, etc, until I did this damn hardware upgrade... {mutters}
Supernovae wrote:Which files are corrupt, btw? If they are simply windows files, then I can help you figure it out.
We haven't even got that far yet. I know that my NTVDM is corrupt, as is Firefox. Also, Half-Life, and both of the single player expansions, load the intros and menus fine, but crash when I try to load the actual game. There were a slew of other tiny problems, like programs double-loading on startup, or not actually closing the process when the application was closed off, among many others, but these all seem to have been fixed by running SFC /SCANNOW to repair the system files. Don't know why it didn't fix the few remaining problems, but Westy and I are going to be looking into it soon, we just have yet to find a convenient time for both of us.
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Reformat, Reinstall.

Get used to it, I've done it 6 times with this computer, and I don't have a minimal amount of programs.

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:00 pm

Anyone who has ever sniffed the smell of a terabyte of live data (all the files of a newsagency: articles, photos, archives, every-fucking-thing) disappearing in front of their eyes, raise your hand now. Only me, eh?! So I guess I pretty much know what it feels like losing data. By the way, I was doing a routine firmware upgrade on an IBM 1742-60U fibre channel storage when the darn thing crashed on me, taking all the data with it straight to hell. It feels like getting your test results back from the lab with a big laughing tumor right behind your forhead on the front cover: you're fucked, pal, in the anus! Long story short, it took us 24 hours to restore vital functionality and another 24 to restore everything from the backups, except for some temporary storage pools that were on the storage that crashed, those we could never recover.
It is just one story to suggest all of you should have decent backups of your critical data and should not want to delete any data unless you really really have to. The next time you and your data meet may easily be in heaven, if you're lucky to get there instead of hell, that is.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:38 am

MP81 wrote:Reformat, Reinstall.

Get used to it.
"Get used to it"?? Boy, I've been reinstalling Windows since before you were fucking born, and I'll never "get used to it". That's like saying, get used to being anally raped with a 4" wide spiked dildo. Some things, you shouldn't have to get used to, because they're that awful.
MP81 wrote:I've done it 6 times with this computer, and I don't have a minimal amount of programs.
What's this "not a minimal amount"? Do you have between 200-300 programs/games? If not, then you may shut up now. =)
Zoltan wrote:Anyone who has ever sniffed the smell of a terabyte of live data (all the files of a newsagency: articles, photos, archives, every-fucking-thing) disappearing in front of their eyes, raise your hand now. Only me, eh?!
Yeah, not me, my record in one hit was 20GB... though that's happened twice. =/ Only just since this last upgrade have I even touched a system with more than a terabyte of HDD space in total though!!
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 am

I have 121 folders in Program Files on my C drive alone, then figure in my two other hard drives and the boot partition. Yeah, I have a lot too. Believe me, if you started fresh as Keith and I both said, nothing would have happened and by golly, you'd be fine.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:32 pm

MP81 wrote:I have 121 folders in Program Files on my C drive alone, then figure in my two other hard drives and the boot partition. Yeah, I have a lot too. Believe me, if you started fresh as Keith and I both said, nothing would have happened and by golly, you'd be fine.
Kyle, you're not right, and I have some bad news for you son - saying that you are over and over again, won't actually make it so. =)

My PC is 98% fine. I'm certain I can find a way to fix the last minor glitches and having it running the way it used to - more stable than any PC I'm sure you've ever seen. Why? Because when things get slightly weird, I don't panic and waste weeks of my life reinstalling everything. I try to work out what the problem is, and try to find a way to solve it.
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

StoneColdDano
Lonely Lamer

Post by StoneColdDano » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:37 pm

What a boring ass thread....guess what button I picked when I voted!?!?!?
Kiss my ass...

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:29 am

StoneColdDano wrote:What a boring ass thread....guess what button I picked when I voted!?!?!?
So, post something better, ya fucking assclown. This place is drier than your wife's snatch, I had to post something!
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:40 am

Heh, yeah, I'm used to linux, where I can literally reinstall and have things exactly to how I had them before, within a half hour.

Still, if you just start doing shit, to get it over with, its better than fiddle fucking around, then having to do it all over.

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:08 am

Hellmark wrote:where I can literally reinstall and have things exactly to how I had them before, within a half hour.
Windows takes longer than that to install itself, incorrectly.