Where do television shows go?

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:23 am

Well, yeah, it may be a little gay, but it still is the best show I have seen in a long time. BSG has become pretty boring lately, even the first spring ep of Dr. House was so lame I stopped watching the show....for now anyway.

Thanks to a friend, however, I have the full 52-dvd set of ST:VOY so whenever I run out of good shows I just drop the next disc in my player and watch StarTrek. I hear you, buddy, it's geeky, yeah, I know. But hey, I don't have much left on this earth to enjoy with all this family thing going on... :)

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:34 am

On the contrary for me - my love for Scrubs that I had through seasons 1-4 started to wane through season 5 and is now almost gone. I think these days I watch more from force of habit than anything else. Once in a while I get a chuckle from it, but I've come to find most of the characters to be banal, predictable, and dull, after six seasons of it. At least on BSG, they still know how to throw a curveball once in a while. I like a show where I can't infallibly predict what every damn character is going to say and do next, every minute of every episode. The characters in Scrubs have no surprises left.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:21 am

So, Ven, what have you been watching lately?

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:47 pm

Lately, I've liked watching the Dresden Files, a show about a normal appearing guy, who is a wizard, in modern day chicago, who more or less gets forced to fight evil.

Although I do have to say, if you watch just one episode, don't make it episode 8 of season one. That is the pilot, and not as good as the rest of the series.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:46 am

Zoltan wrote:So, Ven, what have you been watching lately?
Same answer as every time you ask me that question. =P

BSG, Lost, Scrubs, NCIS, Two and a Half Men, The Simpsons, all the Law & Orders, and whatever old cancelled shows I happen to use the rest of my bandwidth on in any given month. =P
Hellmark wrote:Although I do have to say, if you watch just one episode, don't make it episode 8 of season one. That is the pilot, and not as good as the rest of the series.
Okay, two questions:-

1) How the fuck is episode 1x08 the pilot?! Shouldn't the FIRST episode be the pilot, not the eighth?!

2) Why would anybody just randomly watch 1x08 anyway? Like, "I feel like checking out this Dresden File show... I think I'll start on... hmm let's see... I know, episode 8!!"... wtf?? =P
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:32 am

One odd thing about American TV is that they usually make the pilot an episode that is not the first one, chronologically, so that way they don't have to deal with introductions if anything gets changed, making them redo work, and also to give the execs and focus groups a feel of how the show will be during its normal run.

As far as specifying episode 8, I did that because it is the most recent. Just aired this past sunday.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:34 pm

Hellmark wrote:One odd thing about American TV is that they usually make the pilot an episode that is not the first one, chronologically, so that way they don't have to deal with introductions if anything gets changed, making them redo work, and also to give the execs and focus groups a feel of how the show will be during its normal run.
Bullshit. Pure, absolute, bullshit.

I watch nothing but American TV, and I have never, ever, ever seen a show where the pilot does not end up being chronologically the first episode of season one when the show is picked up.

Name me 10 shows that have done it the crazy-ass way you're describing. Because literally every show I have ever seen in nearly three decades of television has not done so, so I REALLY think "usually" is not the right word here. Perhaps "almost never" is a better fit there?
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:07 am

I can't say I've ever watched a series in which the pilot wasn't the first episode. If a show sucks, they'll stop airing it.

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:57 am

Thats usually why the pilot gets rotated out to be something other than first, that way if it sucks but the series as a whole doesn't, it wont turn people off.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:26 am

Keith, that's never happened. Face it, you made it up. I've watched more American TV in my life than anybody I know, and neither myself nor Kyle (an American teenager, enough said!) have ever seen it done that way. I asked you for examples, you couldn't provide any. Clearly, you're just making shit up. Silly bastard. The pilot is always the first ep.
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

StoneColdDano
Lonely Lamer

Post by StoneColdDano » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:22 pm

If Keith wasn't out having so much sex...his post might have made sense.
He was a philosopher when he was a lonely virgin...throw a little fun at the guy and he's too busy putting his pants back on to post a sensable post!

I wonder is CPGAJJPOO is a pimp...cause that motherfucker never makes any sense!
Kiss my ass...

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:24 pm

Keithfucious was his early name.

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:00 pm

I gotta go with Ven and MP81, never have i seen a pilot that wasnt first in the series. Shit sometimes they make it extra long. And FYI Hellmark networks frequently shitcan shows just because the pilot performs poorly.
Confidence comes in a brown bottle.

StoneColdDano
Lonely Lamer

Post by StoneColdDano » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Sure, just ignore me fucker...
Kiss my ass...

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:25 am

Dano, y'only got ignored because your post makes no sense. Keith never gets laid. Just because he technically allegedly supposedly has this token girlfriend that we've heard about like, twice in two years, doesn't make him Hugh Hefner. Besides, I've watched his routine long enough - he's always either sleeping, on IRC, or doing things with his farm animals. I don't think he even remembers what the girl looks like, let alone wets his rod on a regular basis!!

I know a guy who got so sick of his family nagging him to find a woman and settle down, that he made up a girlfriend, completely ficticious, and in great detail. When they'd ask about her, he'd tell them all about her life, her career, what they'd been doing together. Eventually they broke up and he was very upset. They haven't bothered him about it since. =P I think Keith just made up the girlfriend that one time to stop us from taking the piss out of his virginity so often. =P

And yeah, see, now it's almost everybody fighting for the cause of right and logic, vs. Keith who still can't quote an example. I think he just got fucked up on peyote when he posted that and just doesn't want to say "Okay, I was wrong, I take that post back, shit happens!"... =)
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy