Where do television shows go?

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Zoltan

Where do television shows go?

Post by Zoltan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:11 pm

Um, I have been trying hard to find the right category to open this topic in and this seems best. I am not sure, though, if it is carp-enough, but for some it may easily seem pointless.

Cutting to the chase, I have just finished watching Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica TV series (the 2004 version) and I kinda like it. I know, you Ven, watch lots of TV shows, have you seen this one? What's your opinion? (BTW, did you ever get the M.A.S.H series on DVD?)

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:03 pm

I've only been able to see a handful of episodes because I dont have cable, and I really like it. For space shows, I like Firefly the best.

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:32 pm

In fact, I don't even have a TV set in my new home. But that does not prevent me from watching TV shows. :) You don't use eMule or similar? BG Season 1 is out on DVD which means good quality rips are available. I have just downloaded them and seen them on my shiny 19-inch LCD monitor.

I have yet to see an episode of Firefly, it has not been on any of our channels , I didn't even know about it. But now that you mention it, I'll take a closer look.

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:47 am

Bittorrent here, but my ISP bitches if I use too much bandwidth, despite others that blow through WAY more. Their "daily" bandwidth charts actually counts two full days and some, plus lumps upstream and down into the same figures, and anytime I use close to a gig in that period, they cut me off. Really easy to do when you have a 4mbit connection.

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:58 am

I don't get it. Who's your ISP? The Salvation Army? Are you paying for the service? What the fuck makes them think it's their business in an way how you are using your bandwith? I only have 2 megs but at least it IS unlimited. Jeez, what is this world coming to...

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Mine's technically unlimited too, but I can't really bitch because they're the only game in town, literally. Its either them or dialup. I tried the dialup after I moved here till I got my other connection setup, and due to the bad phone wiring in the area, 15kbps top end (everyone I've talked to gets that)

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:03 am

Before I engage in any further cursing and bitching, what region of which country is this happening to you? Do you live in Asia? Maybe in Central or Eastern Europe? In the Arctic? I can't believe it's happening in a democracy with a free market.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Hey look, it's Zoltan!! And not only posting, but actually starting a thread, and having made several posts in that thread already! Welcome back man!

I have every single episode of BSG that's aired so far, right up to season 02 episode 12, which aired on 13-Jan. Episode 13 aired today, so I should have it by this time tomorrow.

TvTorrents is your friend - live it, love it.

As far as my opinion, I'd have to say that BSG (the 2004 remake, the one we're discussing) is probably my favorite sci-fi TV show of all time, and easily in my top five favorite TV shows ever, period. It is REALLY good.

And as for Keith's ISP, heh, I was heckling him about that just the other day actually... he lives in an extremely remote part of southern Nowhere, USA, and they apparently only have one broadband ISP within 200 miles or something, and since there's no competition, they treat their customers like crap and get away with it. Some of the stories Keith's told me about the service he gets would have had me down at their head office with a crowbar discuss refunds/rebates with them, but hey, I live in a city, we have about 100 different ISPs to choose from here, so no big deal if I ditch/get banned from one or two. =P

And now to tie the two topics together neatly - I recently upgraded my own ADSL connection to a 1.5MBit, the fastest residential internet connection available in this country, and increased my monthly transfer limit to 36GB/month. Which I meet or exceed every single month, primarily at TvTorrents, a large portion of which is, you guessed it, downloading BSG episodes the day after they air in the USA. =P
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:36 pm

zoltan wrote:Before I engage in any further cursing and bitching, what region of which country is this happening to you? Do you live in Asia? Maybe in Central or Eastern Europe? In the Arctic? I can't believe it's happening in a democracy with a free market.
I live outside of St Louis, Missouri, but its a small town where I am at about 60 miles out of the city, with no cable lines, no DSL. My choices are satellite internet, which is flakey and has horrible pings at $80 a month plus $600 to setup, this wireless net company at $40 a month, or the substandard dialup. They say in like 7 years we'll have cable lines out here.

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Hey, Ven. Yeah, I'm kinda back.

Thanks for the TvTorrents link, I'll check it out.

I am lagging behind big time as far as TV shows go since I happen to live in a distant ex-communist star system that is reached only by a handful of shows that are aired in the US or other somewhat civilised parts of the Universe. Thus I do not really have a scale to measure BSG's real value but I like it a lot. Technically it is very high quality (to my standards) for a TV show. No crappy props or lame effects. The actors and their acting is quite good, I think. I especially like the Starbuck character. She has a certain grin that makes me drop all my weapons. The last time I saw E. J. Olmos, he was in Blade Runner in a minor but important role. Nice to see him come back.

Now here's my question. What the fuck is this Baltar person doing? I may have missed a lot of things but I just don't get his motives. It is alright that he is not an angel, he has flaws like all of us have, but he obviously betrays his people without even feeling guilty. And, along these lines, I do not completely understand his connection with Number Six. I especially got confused when in one episode she came out of nowhere, appeared on board the BSG and before the episode was up she disappeared again. I can't recall a single hint about the Cylons being able to materialize and dematerialize at will. So, I'd be grateful if any of you could give some insights on the workings of this branch of the plot.

Now over to Keith's ISP. It's a shame it can happen to anyone in the US. I thought US customers are better protected.

Ven, I live in s small town outside Budapest and I could get 3Mbps easily if I wanted. But I only have 2Mbps, that is sufficient for now. It is hard to believe that 1.5Mbps is the max you can get in Sydney...

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:15 pm

Hellmark,

I mean no harm but I have an acquaintance who used to live in St. Loius and he says it is not the best place to live in. Let alone a farm 60 miles out. Again, no harm meant. I never thought rural areas were so cut off. My condolences.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:59 pm

zoltan wrote:Hey, Ven. Yeah, I'm kinda back.
"Kinda" back? Pffft, I'll give it three days, tops, until you vanish for half a year again... =P
zoltan wrote:I am lagging behind big time as far as TV shows go since I happen to live in a distant ex-communist star system that is reached only by a handful of shows that are aired in the US or other somewhat civilised parts of the Universe. Thus I do not really have a scale to measure BSG's real value but I like it a lot. Technically it is very high quality (to my standards) for a TV show. No crappy props or lame effects. The actors and their acting is quite good, I think. I especially like the Starbuck character. She has a certain grin that makes me drop all my weapons. The last time I saw E. J. Olmos, he was in Blade Runner in a minor but important role. Nice to see him come back.
Yeah, Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) sure is a cutie. Doesn't fit the profile of the kind of girl I'm usually into, but she's perky and impish and very resilient, and you're quite right, her smile is completely disarming. Olmos seems to be an excellent actor too - I have to say in fact, that BSG has very few characters who aren't detailed, complex, and highly likeable, with actors that play their parts very, very well. Rather unusual for a sci-fi, when traditionally only key characters get any depth, and they just kill of "red shirts" every other episode. Whereas in BSG, you get quite a feel for every crew member, from the Commander himself right down to the deck crew.
zoltan wrote:Now here's my question. What the fuck is this Baltar person doing? I may have missed a lot of things but I just don't get his motives. It is alright that he is not an angel, he has flaws like all of us have, but he obviously betrays his people without even feeling guilty. And, along these lines, I do not completely understand his connection with Number Six. I especially got confused when in one episode she came out of nowhere, appeared on board the BSG and before the episode was up she disappeared again. I can't recall a single hint about the Cylons being able to materialize and dematerialize at will. So, I'd be grateful if any of you could give some insights on the workings of this branch of the plot.
Tricky question, as every character develops deeper and deeper with almost every single episode! Do you want my perspective now, from a S02E12 POV, or do you my feedback based on the episode you're up to, without any season two spoilers included? Either one I can do, but I don't want to spoil anything for you, especially if you're going to catch up faster now with the help of TvTorrents...
zoltan wrote:Ven, I live in s small town outside Budapest and I could get 3Mbps easily if I wanted. But I only have 2Mbps, that is sufficient for now. It is hard to believe that 1.5Mbps is the max you can get in Sydney...
Huh? Sydney? Who the heck do you know in Sydney??

But yeah, you and I have had this conversation several times before. The worst part is, we're not held back by technology, but just by corporate beauracracy. Technologically we're capable of the faster connections, but all ADSL in this country stems back to one main top level provider, and for no apparent reason, they just decided that residential customers only get up to 1.5MBit, and that's it. So all the smaller companies that resell broadband can only sell up to that speed - so 256KB, 512KB, and 1.5MB are our only options for ADSL. Don't even get me back onto that rant - it's one of those things I'll just never stop being pissed off about. =|
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:09 pm

Ven, give me a no spoiler/Season 1 only explanation of Baltar. Frankly, I didn't get the whole Number Six thing until I had read a few fan site explanations. And even having read them I thought something was missing.

Sorry about accusing you of having anything to do with Sydney. A cannot exactly recall where you are based because of the stupid way your addresses are made up. Maybe it was a Melbourne district? But I can remember it was a big city and you lived relatively close to the sea.

(S2E3 has just finished downloading. Hurray.)

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:13 pm

Okay Zoltan, early tomorrow I'll quickly double-check the episode guides to remind myself of where things were at the end of season one to make sure I don't give you any spoilers, and then I'll give you my take on Baltar as of the end of season one.

Think you can stick around the site long enough for that, or after tonight, will it be another four months until you visit again? >=P
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Zoltan

Post by Zoltan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:21 pm

Depends on the quality of your reply. I'll see if it's worth it. Get your shit together and make my twisted mind understand this Baltar guy and hope I am satisfied with your essay.