Cross

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
spirochete
mY 1337 p0stZ0rz 0wNz j00!!!1

Cross

Post by spirochete » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 am

You walk to the pedestrian lights, and press the button. Someone sees (and possibly hears) you press the button. Regardless, they loudly push the button over and over again.

A minute or so later, they decide to press it a few more times. The lights change eventually, and we cross.

My questions on this scenario are:

- Do they think I pressed it wrong?
- Do they think the lights will change faster as a result?
- Do they think the button records urgency?
- Do they think they pressed it wrong the first time/times?
- Is it fun?

I am pretty sure most of the answers for these are "People are stupid".

Thoughts?
Eastern block robot cowboy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 pm

The funny thing is, in many areas they have the button programmed to not do anything. It is just a mental thing "I did my part, so my turn will be soon". People go crazy without even an illusion of control. The ones that repeatedly press it, probably are struggling with lack of control in other areas, and hence why they over do it when they feel like they have the ability to do something.

spirochete
mY 1337 p0stZ0rz 0wNz j00!!!1

Post by spirochete » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:47 pm

That's a good point, and there are a few variants on that, I'd say.

Some would change regardless in high volume foot traffic areas, but others would simply activate the green man's appearance. Most dedicated pedestrian lights would rely on the initial press of the button to change. Also, there are road sensors which register the presence of vehicles, causing changes.
Eastern block robot cowboy