Had Had

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Tickle

Had Had

Post by Tickle » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:47 pm

I had had enough of her bullshit, so that's why I dumped her in the drain hole.

Do people really say "had had" or is there a proper way to say it?

* Tickle *

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 pm

It is have had. "I have had enough of your bullshit, so you're fired" but for past tense things, i I think just had would be good "I had enough of her crap so I dumped her ass at the party"

Tickle

Post by Tickle » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:00 pm

Hellmark wrote:It is have had. "I have had enough of your bullshit, so you're fired" but for past tense things, i I think just had would be good "I had enough of her crap so I dumped her ass at the party"
But my statement is past tense, you see. I should have pointed that out. If I used "have had" then it is present. But I can see your point of removing the second "had", but I believe it is used when describing a past event because I "had enough" back then, so it had happened, hence had had......

Tyranny

Post by Tyranny » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:10 pm

Another option is to abbreviate the first had into I'd, then it can be "I'd had enough of her shit, so I ripped her throat out and rammed it up her arse."

And so on and so forth.

T.

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:55 pm

yeah... "Had had" is proper though...

Tyranny

Post by Tyranny » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:54 pm

MP81 wrote:yeah... "Had had" is proper though...
Exactly. I believe you just answered the question.

T.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:18 pm

I know I'm late on the bandwagon here (had my nose too far up The Sims 2 to notice there was a new thread here! =P), but yeah... to say "I had had too much", or similar is technically grammatically correct, I believe, though it's such an awkward phrase, I usually try to avoid it myself. As Tyranny said, using the contraction "I'd" in place of "I had" is a neat way to get around it. But yeah, it's an awkward glitch in the English language, I think. =)
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:29 pm

Agh, I just realised, there are quite a few of these English snafus around that most of us are probably not sad enough to give much thought to unless it happens to come up for some reason...

Like using the same adjective together twice, like her her, for example "I gave her her vibrator back".

Or in in, as in "I decided I would check in in about an hour to see if she was still breathing"...

Mind you both of those two can easily be reworded to avoid the mess, ie. "I gave her back her vibrator", or "I decided I would check in on her in about an hour"... so I supposed had had could be avoided too, without using a contraction, depending on the context. Ie. "Unfortunately, I had had a bad case of herpes at the time", could just be "Unfortunately, I did have a bad case of herpes at the time". Or, in the case of the original example, "I had had enough of her bullshit" could just be "I had realized I couldn't take any more of her bullshit", or something. It's awkward, but if double words really shit you, it would be the way to go.

What about when the same words mean different things, though? Put a verb, a proper noun, and a couple of regular nouns that have different meanings together, and you can end up with stupid shit like "Will Will have the will to willfully will his willy to his children when he dies?". Okay, so that's just fucking stupid - I think I needed more sleep today.

Why am I still here?
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Supernovae
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Supernovae » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:05 pm

I was looking for other complex english grammar things to put on the site and I came across this:

Code: Select all

Ann while Bob had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
This apparently is correct due to the following reason:

Okay, here's the answer to the puzzle. I'm going to give both the correct punctuation and a little explanation. (Believe me, it needs it!!):

Ann, while Bob had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

It has to do with grammar. "Had had" is the past participle (I believe) and Bob had [written] the wrong answer on his HW assignment (or whatever), which was "had". Ann had [written] the correct answer, which was "had had". Thus, While Bob had had "had" [on his paper], Ann had had "had had" on her paper. The fact that Ann had "had had" on her paper made the teacher happy.
I wish I could remember the url to this site so I could give proper credit (where credit it DUE!). But the way the computers are setup in the library here as soon as I closed the window it disappeared and it's a bit complicated for me to retrieve it.
A deviant mind at rest has no function here.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:34 pm

Streetrodracer wrote:I was looking for other complex english grammar things to put on the site and I came across this:

Ann while Bob had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Oh my GOD, I'm such a fucking language geek... I actually got that without having to read the explanation afterwards... that's really quite painfully sad. I need to get laid more often.
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:47 pm

Oh my fucking god, that is DISGUSTING!!!

I still don't understand it even with that explanation...

Karl, that is sad...

Though in Chemisrty we managed to make a neutrally charged compound with 12 ionic molecules...

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:55 pm

MP81 wrote:Oh my fucking god, that is DISGUSTING!!!
I still don't understand it even with that explanation...
Karl, that is sad...
Though in Chemisrty we managed to make a neutrally charged compound with 12 ionic molecules...
You made a what compound with a what and the what now?!

{goes back to looking at words... safe, comforting words...} =P
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:09 pm

We made a Compound (A chemically combined combination of 2 or more molecules) that was neutrally balenced (Had no postitive or negitive charge), which consisted of 12 ionic molecules/ions (Molecules/atoms with a positive or negitive charge).

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:12 pm

MP81 wrote:We made a Compound (A chemically combined combination of 2 or more molecules) that was neutrally balenced (Had no postitive or negitive charge), which consisted of 12 ionic molecules/ions (Molecules/atoms with a positive or negitive charge).
Man, I had had no understanding whatsoever of what you had said, but having had read what you had explained, I realized that I had still had no comprehension of it. >=P

Trust me dude - I have as much chance of understanding your science mumbo jumbo as you do of understanding SRR's crazy word puzzle. So just don't even try. =P
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Supernovae
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Supernovae » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:14 pm

heh -

I kinda understand what MP's saying, but I haven't taken Chemistry in 7 years.
A deviant mind at rest has no function here.