Windows 7 sucks cock, dick, and horsepenis all at once

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:58 am

Few reasons. One, there's no reason not to. Windows 7 is stable enough to run for weeks, months, maybe years without a restart if need be. Secondly, I like being able to roll out of bed any time day or night and just start using it without fucking around waiting for a boot-up sequence. Thirdly, I have a shit-ton of background programs running, so this beast takes about an hour to fully boot up from cold - not something I want to have to deal with every day, or in fact at all if I can help it. Another reason is that I like to watch TV on my PC before I go to sleep at night, and I like being able to just roll over and sleep as soon as the credits start to roll, without having to get out of bed and shut everything down. And blah blah blah, some other stuff.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm with Ven on this, plus i like to leave my torrents going over night. IF you ever want to to build a second machine i'd be happy to help pick out parts i'm pretty good at being cheap and/or getting good quality.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:09 am

Yeah, I forgot about that one... I keep my torrents seeding most of the time because I get all my TV shows from a ratio site and I like to keep my credits up high...
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:26 pm

One, there's no reason not to.
Except that keeping your PC running all the time costs power and money. For you the advantages may outweigh the disadvantages, but for most PC users it wouldn't make any sense. That's why I asked.
I'm with Ven on this, plus i like to leave my torrents going over night. IF you ever want to to build a second machine i'd be happy to help pick out parts i'm pretty good at being cheap and/or getting good quality.
I tried a torrent a few times too. I found direct downloads were infinity faster, plus you're not dependent on someone else or a shitty client. Tell me, why are torrents so popular?

And as for helping me composing a system... You cannot give me a guarantee that it'll work stable and reliably, can you? I'm better at selecting components at a low price, since I know the best online shops in my country. You most certainly don't.

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 am

I find the opposite direct down loads constantly fail cause of latency hiccups and are much slower unless coming from say Microsoft or something. i tend to use PeerBlock.

As far as power consumption that is more of a myth, unless you have a fairly hefty over clock with multiple GPUs and all the power saving turned off. i never OC that far and usually leave my power saving features on. power saving underclocks your hardware and reduces voltage, thus running cooler and less consumption.

my mom and dad blamed my brother and I for running up the power bill. After having him move out and me get rid of all but, one desktop in my room not only did the power bill ever so slightly barley go down, it goes up some months.

There are some power saving setups similar to the Intel Atom made by AMD that are only 14 watts with CPU/GPU combo motherboard, cheap, cool, quiet, low power and performs well, plays hd and runs some games.

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 am

It depends on your location. You live in America, so Microsoft servers will give you fast download speeds. But here in Europe it's a different story.

A direct download is always faster than bittorrent, unless you're downloading something really popular. That's the strength and weakness of bittorrent, you need other people to make it fast, and you even need them to make it work at all, right? If you only care about the hottest and latest things, and you're always right in time to catch them, bittorrent is good.

Otherwise, it's pretty useless. Nothing beats a download geographically close your country.

I always imagined a PC comsuming 100 watts on average for several hours a day would drive the energy bill up noticeably. So I'm wrong. I actually learned something from you today, CJJ.

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:18 pm

i could see 100 watts if it is enough of a machine. I have been taught it is not always watts but, also amps. watts is technically not a measure of electricity but, of heat, resistance and electrical draw.

the hotter it gets the more juice it takes force the the electricity through due to friction of the atoms in side the leads/path ways in said device, more or less.

Yeah if your in Europe direct download is gonna be scream'n fast. some times you can only find some things in torrents if it is rare enough but, other times in direct download only too so i guess it's stand still.

did i ever mention peerblock for those who do bittorent? if not grab it, it blocks a ton of anti peer to peer IPs and networks from trying to slow down and or block you from seeders.

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 am

You know guys, after I stopped installing updates my windows installation has been doing better, but still it needs an occasional rollback to a previous state, even though I'm not changing anything about my configuration.

I'm the kind of guy who just wants his PC to work and do what it should do. I don't want to have to fix vague problems that seem to come and go for no reason at all. I don't want to invest time finding out what is causing every problem, or how it can be solved. It's frustrating and maddening. I'm not even sure what to do at this point. At the very least I have decent back-up peripherals right now, so I don't have to worry about losing data.

But still, such an unstable installation is very annoying. I always have to reinstall and reconfigure things after a roll-back, and frankly I'm getting REALLY tired of this.

It would be nice if the digital industry released a stable PC for once, a machine with software specifically coded for its hardware. It would sell like crazy, since such a thing is way more reliable. I'd buy it in an instant. But for some reason, it hasn't happened yet.

I have a suspicion someone here is going to say ''get a Mac''. Macintosh is great and all, they are said to be way more reliable. But they are also far too expensive. They charge well over twice the price the device is actually worth, and I'm not doing that. Besides, it's not suitable for games, so why do they stuff top-of the line hardware inside, making it even more expensive? An office and multimedia PC can suffice with cheap slow hardware, so it's a total waste.

It's time for a better solution than a PC with shitty windows or a super expensive Mac. When will the industry finally wake up and save office workers and home users these headaches?

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 am

Anybody who says "Get a Mac!" is going to get my foot up their ass.

Still, I've had no trouble at all with Windows 7. I've rebooted less than 30 times since I installed the new OS, and those were all either because a software update required a reboot, the power went out, or I've moved the PC. To this day, I've not experienced a Windows 7 crash, bluescreen, lockup, or anything similar.

As for the power issue mentioned in previous posts, I'll throw my two cents in and say that I don't have an issue with the cost of power here in Australia either. I don't know how much they charge for electricity in Europe but I run my PC all day and all night every day of my life, and I haven't had a power bill that I've considered to be outrageous as a result yet. But I guess it's all relative to your cost of living, your income, etc...
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Oh, you're not a big fan of Macs? I've practically never touched them, so I can't speak for or against their quality. But those things are outrageously expensive, and I just don't see how anyone is crazy enough to shove out that kind of money for a mediocre PC. Yet for some reason they sell like hot cakes. But why?

When it comes to ordinary PCs with windows installed, some users are lucky, some are not. I suppose I fall in the category of really unlucky people. I continue to experience new issues I haven't encountered before. Instead of getting the same errors like most guys I get completely different problems every time.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 am

I've barely touched Macs either, never owned one (or any iCrap product for that matter) but I share your opinions of them. They're stupidly overpriced and can't do half the things PCs do. If I were a graphic designer, I'd probably get a Mac because for graphics, they're allegedly great. But I'm a gamer, and I need my Windows and DOS support for all the vintage games I own. A Mac would be beyond useless to me.

And the reason they sell well is just genius marketing. All the hipsters want to own something with a cool sounding brand name, so they buy their iMacs and iPods and iPads and whatever the fuck else, and think they're cool because everybody's doing it. Blech.
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Genius marketing? More like retarded marketing if you ask me. I mean their ads are literally aimed at the stupidest suckers. From a business perspective it only makes sense because idiots outnumber sensible smart buyers by a factor ten.

Hey, guess what I did last night? I reinstalled windows 7.... yet again. Mouse and keyboard were not working anymore. Window is so unstable, it barely survives a few weeks after a fresh reinstall. It's just sad.

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:24 am

Venomous wrote:Anybody who says "Get a Mac!" is going to get my foot up their ass.
I don't think many words are needed here. I think we all agree.

As far as mac they look good and cost way to much. You can actually build your self or by a comparable pc and put mac on it. by chance i found out my 2007 acer is the spittin image of a mac book pro at the time and can run OSX (Why would I?).

now if you were a rich fucker a high end mac book would make one sweet ass win 7 machine.

Also Jackie is now longer the only one. My sister Pentium 4 machine i built got her auto roll backs by it's self every time i think it just needs a clean install, i also could attribute it an unstable OC but, for some reason that doesn't seem to be the problem to me i think it's software this round some time i will clean install it and see what happens.

the only time mouse kb don't work is when it doesn't have the mb drivers. as long as the work in the bios you know it's the os.

have you ever run prime 95 Large FFT or memtest plus for 24 hours before?

O_0 OMG i may (most likely not) have a true idea of a possible fault. what systems is stable but, is not stable. i have had this problem with several machines before. it usually turned out to be the psu fucking up under load. for some reason i doubt this hold true with you.

I'm really not to sure on this one , how did it run with win xp?

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Wake up already, I never was the only one. Windows 7 problems are, despite all the praise of its reliability and stability, still extremely abundant.
have you ever run prime 95 Large FFT or memtest plus for 24 hours before?
No. I'll never run any program nor the PC itself for a whole day long, that's absurd dude.
how did it run with win xp?
It was a nightmare. Dozens of times I had a problem with the video card, and the PC would start up with a 265 color palette and a resolution of 640*480. I've had certain keys on my keyboard output different characters, I had issues with programs no longer working at all, I had blue screens of death, internet access dying, freezes... well, I've had about every problem you can possibly have with XP.

Now that I've switched to 7, I do experience different problems, but the quantity and degree of annoyance have not decreased. My main reason to stick to windows 7 at this point is the ability of the OS to rollback easily.
O_0 OMG i may (most likely not) have a true idea of a possible fault. what systems is stable but, is not stable. i have had this problem with several machines before. it usually turned out to be the psu fucking up under load. for some reason i doubt this hold true with you.
You're retarded. All of the problems I described were software related. Does a PSU disable internet access? Doe a PSU disable the driver of a soundcard? Does a PSU make your PC start up with nothing but a background image of your desktop? And is the PSU somehow capable of preventing shortcuts from working?

I don't think so. The windows OS on the other hand is very much capable of all this and more. Countless processes run in the background doing god know what to the functionality of everything that is running. The only question which remains is: how do you stop windows from harming itself?

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 am

Oh hell yeah PSUs can do all kinds of demented demonic freaky shit. one machine first had hdd problems then gfx card problems random lockups and even bsods. turns out voltage spikes wigging out the hardware like fucking methamphetamine. bad capacitors can do the same thing.

any who that software checks the system for stability it runs mathematical equations and if any are answered wrong it lets you know assuming the system doesn't shit it's self in the process. I run these programs on systems all the time weather or not they are being OCed or not. we have found systems with bad ram, mother boards, graphics cards, chipsets and even bad CPUs but, a bad CPU is super rare.

I think i have only seen 2 bad CPUs before, by bad i mean works fine buck fucks weird random shit.

any who i seriously think you should try other operating systems. if you have enough memory or an extra hdd i'd try linux or if your adventurous maybe even haiku.