Windows 7 sucks cock, dick, and horsepenis all at once

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 pm

What's up guys? I see the forum has not been very alive lately. I'm sorry to see that. But I think I have good news.

The past few weeks have been hell for me. You know my PC is not very stable. But the last month and a half were beyond words. I could barely keep my PC running for one or two days before I had to do a complete system reinstall. It made me avoid my entertainment & research centre.

PCs are great. When they work. When they malfunction and require a great deal of effort and time to remain operational only to break down again and again, you start to lose hope of ever getting it to work properly one day. I had almost given up hope.

However, one thing CJJ said made me think. In the past, I noticed certain things that may indicate something is wrong with a vital part of a computer: the PC is hanging for minutes trying to read a folder, programs are not working spontaneously, parts of the OS malfunctioning, strange noises coming from inside the PC, extreme instability even after a fresh reinstall... these symptoms pointed out a suspect.

Of all the components in a PC, the hard drive is the only part to wear out over time. They can last for quite a few years. But the lifetime statistics and numbers presented by manufactures are greatly overstated, I learned thanks to some impartial studies. My hard drive is about 3 years old, and I was wondering if it could be possible it was already 'broken' by now. The signs were there. And from what I've read, people with experience in the field say that all hard drives, no matter what brand or type, are very vulnerable and unreliable. They are said to last between 3-6 years on average. I decided I might as well replace mine.

The very first day after the OS install on the new drive - an SSD - something happened. Guess what? Windows could not be started, it told me to reinstall the OS. I assumed the fetal position and cried like a baby.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Windows did had to be reinstalled though. At first I was utterly, completely empty. I had no clue what to do. After the initial despair, I realized I made a vital mistake - I used all the drivers and programs from my probably very corrupted and worn out hard drive, and used them immediately on my new drive. I even used a windows 7 install disk with service pack 1 slipstreamed, which was also manufactured with help of the old hard disk.

I'm sure that if any PC literate people read this, they're gonna shake their heads. Old drivers from wonky hard drives are bad, you should always download the latest and greatest from the web. Corrupted files will probably remain corrupted when copied to a new drive. It's common sense really. I did not think it through.

But now? The last few days I have not had to do a system restore or a OS reinstall. Nothing broke down, no weird errors. Except one game behaved really weird: sound not playing, or playing too late, freezes, crashes... I was initially worried this might be due to my new SSD. Well, actually the problems were common for this game for a lot of people. Phew!

I think the truckload of problems I had are now finally over. I certainly hope so at least. Hey, I actually successfully installed lots of windows 7 updates, and even managed to install service pack one without any issues. I have never encountered that before.

This post is probably way longer than it has to be, but fuck it, I'm glad to be back online and rolling. I missed researching gruesome and weird stuff, bitching about people and things, watching videos and playing videogames. Yeah, I got some catching up to do.

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:01 am

One I thing I like about failing hard drives is they fail good. Hard drives are good at failing. WTF? See SSDs are great till they fail yes they can fail just like and hard drive but, unlike a hard drive they can just straight up die, bzzzt! every thing gone, while a hard drive can do this too you have metal platter inside wit the data still on it, unless it is full powder or metal shavings. You can get a new controller chip and get advanced hard drive recover for some serious $$$.

That said both of them fail and a smart man backs up data. Hard drives need to go eventually but, it seems they just keep upping the value per GB at least when there is not a shortage.

Your new SSD should really help out on boot up time. You were not wrong for trying to copy over all the data from the wonky drive, we do it at the pc shop I work at all the time but, some times yes it is corrupt and you have to ditch it, usually it is done cause someone never backed up any thing. Sometimes it is done just because the drive isn't bad off.

For a while and after being persistent that it was hardware related I thought I had pissed you off beyond coming back or something. While you were gone I have posted a few things in the "interesting videos and animations" thread.

I too have had a bit of change as far as my PC too. I finally put my "Main Rig" back together. Recycling a few things such as gfx card, sound card, PSU and my drives I have constructed an all black Six core machine dual hd4850s this is not the same machine the retrofitted 1999 computer case and occasional gfx card over heat because of some scraggly wire. No this is my nice ass motherfucking pimp ass Cadillac machine.

I've been playing portal 2 and enjoying the benefits of my sound card with special 3rd party drivers and hearing games like never before. i sure do wish i had some kind of high end server type raid or an SSD but, for the moment I'm content and sure hope Jackie is happy with his new SSD. Perhaps some pictures are in order?

Now all I have to do is RMA my shorted out Altec Lansing Back Beat Pluses.

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Things seemed to go so well. But after barely a week of no problems, windows entered system recovery on startup this morning.

At this point I can only conclude that windows is causing this issue. It's too much of a coincidence that the same pattern is now occurring on a new hard drive. I can't think of anything else that may be the source of these two years of headaches and annoyances.

Yeah, it's been going on that long. And it's gradually been getting worse. XP was bad, but windows 7 is a nightmare. But I need to get it to work somehow. It is possible, but how? I'm reaching in the dark and as sad as it is, no one can help me. I'm certain that even if the most PC savvy people in the world were ordered to fix the problems with my PC, they'd slam their heads into the wall from despair and frustration.

It's very tempting to submit my problems on several PC forums, but experience taught me I'm more likely to get struck by lightning than ever receiving a remotely useful answer on a forum.

Have you guys ever been in such a predicament?

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah i think i can say yes. right now i'm working on pc from 04 the long and the short is the guy said he just wanted it fixed but after further tinkering he will be luck if he gets is data off intact the only to recover the data involves risking loosing all the data entirely.

Are sure it wasn't any thing i have had windows enter start up repair just because it didn't shut down cleanly i also had it enter start up repair also try to roll back because i tried to install windows office 07 service pack 1 and windows 7 service pack 1 at the same time it eventually successfully rolled back and let me deselect the office SP1 and install it later.

How long has it been since you clean out the dust and visually inspected the inside?

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 am

Hey Jackie not sure if you will see this or not but, if you need any PC help feel free to ask this goes for everybody, i'm happy to help... to an extent. :P

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:12 pm

cdoublejj could you please fly here to Australia and watercool my case? =)
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Yesterday I've formatted the hard disk and did another windows reinstall. I restarted once, checking if the PC worked. It did. I made zero changes to the configuration. This morning I started it up again. The black screen of death appeared, loading the windows files and telling me windows could not be started. If a completely new, default, untouched windows installation works that bad, what does that tell us?

The automatic system restore didn't work of course. How could it? The OS was just installed. But ''reporting information to microsoft about this problem'' magically fixed the installation anyway.

Well, my PC worked again. So I tried activating windows. It didn't work. ''The submitted product code cannot be used to active windows on this computer'' as decided by the activation servers.

There is no reason why a new installation should die immediately. Nevertheless this happened to me before.

The strange thing is I never run into problems until I restart my PC. That's where windows rears its ugly head. In my case, restarting the PC = broken windows installation. I don't know why. Why does rebooting windows kill the OS? The only possible hardware issue I can think of is the memory. I have a new hard disk, but the same problems persist. All I can do now is test the memory, if that is not the problem, we know for sure that windows, and only windows is the problem.

Well, at least this is true if bad memory can destroy a windows installation if you restart the PC several times. It doesn't sound logical though. It's a shame we don't have a PC expert around here to shed some light on this case, because this is hopelessly frustrating. So frustrating in fact, I had no other choice but to buy another hard drive on which I installed linux. Yesterday I had no possibility of backing up my files from windows itself, because external usb storage devices where no longer recognized. (hey, haven't we heard that before?)

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:41 pm

What do you mean it's a shame we don't have an expert here? Surely cdoublejj is the master of his industry, don't you trust his expert opinions? ;)

I think it's gotta be hardware. In fact, I'm certain of it, unless you have some wacky pirated version of Windows 7 which is packed with malware. Win7 can't possibly fuck up on the first reboot, unless there's something inherently wrong with your PC even before you install an OS on it. It's just... fucking unheard of!!

If you own a legitimate legal copy of Windows, I say get yourself some formal support. Microsoft MUST have something to say about your predicament. Failing them, isn't there some kind of Windows/PC professional in your area that you could get to take a look at it? When I was using Windows 2000/98/95/3.1, I used to have problems now and then, but I've always had one friend or another who knew their shit about PCs and Windows and could run me through my problems with a short phone call, or at worst, a quick visit to my house to assess the problem.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:41 am

Yeah if access to my usual parts and tools, i would maybe first run memtest86 over night or i would first swap out the the power supply fora known good one. I found a working power supply doesn't mean is a good PSU, a some what faulty PSU can act normal for the most part but, they can have whats called power ripple or fluctuation.

What ripple or fluctuation can do is fail to properly supply different components, the components will still function just stably. This can affect any thing like RAM, HDD, SSD, CPU, GFX, MB, NIC (ethernet).

I'm nope saying THIS IS the problem, I'm just saying "if the shoe fits". If I had the money to ship i'd have no problem mailing you a spare machine to keep /w working win 7 and no funky shit, stress test as far as the machine can go for hours on end to ensure it. If your willing to pay shipping i'll set you up, nothing fancy though but, it will work.

EDIT:

ALSO with win 7 THIS thins is invaluable assuming you don't have some WEIRD PSU problem like above in which it will have all kinds of errors leading to no specific problem.

EDIT:EDIT: and this too

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... nitor/3108

Jackie
Lonely Lamer

Post by Jackie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Fortunately my brother is pretty handy with PC's. Now, I'm not imagining that he can solve my issues. That would be too good to be true. But maybe he can help. A bit.

He suggested that I use a router for better internet protection. It's probably not what's causing my issues. But we'll see. By the way ClownJesterJackass, I ran memtest86+. I don't even know why I did that. To prove you wrong, perhaps. The program could not detect any errors despite running for nearly 17 hours.

Why do you guys have so much faith in windows and so little in hardware? Hardware failure is far less common than software failure. And this is especially true for microsoft software.
Last edited by Jackie on Tue May 01, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seajayjay
Chronic Spammer

Post by seajayjay » Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 am

I work at the oldest and busiest pc shop in town since the late 70s and early 80s.

We get huge array of PCs the ones yo see the least are usually the best brands. We also see customs built machines a quite bit we also see machines with the same symptoms as yours too.

Hardware ages and hardware fails. yes it possible for it to run 17 hours and still be bad but, had there been a failure, then there really would have been a failure.

you haven't done any thing to test it so far you have run only win xp and win 7 and you keep clean installing that does absolutely nothing and proves nothing.

At work we do trouble shooting and trial and error software and hardware, if windows fails and clean installing doesn't helps what does linux do does linux fail also? if both windows plus linux fail then why so? surely all three aren't bad OSes.

My as in me, i would stress it with prime 95 large fft and furmark for over 24 hours with all stock hard ware and weather it fails or passed it would actually be telling me something.

I would then try an in house known good psu and run the same tests again. then i would also test it with daily activity too. I would continue doing so till the problem is solved as i try different parts.

I can even prove it's hardware by sending you a free machine running windows 7 that doesn't exhibit any problems.

you can;t just keep using the same stuff and saying it's good, the universe just doesn't love us that much. i don't think i've been more certain of hardware problems and i'm fairly confident the problems won't go away with software changes alone.

That said you should probably try linux, maybe Ubuntu it's some what newbie friendly and there are lots of guides. Every install of windows has fucked up, don't think it's worth a try to try something else?

EDIT: I'm being serious about trying linux that was in no way mean to be some snarky ass comment.