Not Real Words

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Ambrosia

Not Real Words

Post by Ambrosia » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:04 am

I always use the word “imperticular” and I am constantly told it is not a word. It sounds perfectly normal and makes since to me and if anyone asked, I’d swear it was in the dictionary. Another one I get shit about is “pottle”, which someone has since told me is a Kiwi slang term.

The funny thing is I walk around using these sorts of word all the time and no one really seems to notice or comment that they’re not real words. Just because it’s not in the dictionary doesn’t mean it’s not real, right?

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:28 am

Stop calling me "someone". I have a name, bitch. =P

Most people are too polite to stop you mid-conversation and say "Uh, excuse me miss, but you're saying things that aren't real words!". I, on the other hand, have no respect for your feelings and one of my hobbies is making fun of people who use words that don't exist. >=P

In the spirit of fair play though, and since one of the nice people on this site will probably tell you even if I don't - where you're saying "imperticular", I believe you're trying to say "in particular" - when spoken, the two sound much the same, but you seem to have made a new word out of it which only really stands out when typed. And as for "pottle", perhaps the people you speak to are either familiar with New Zealand local colloquialisms, or they think you're saying "bottle" (since the two terms are almost the same thing anyway, so the context wouldn't sound unusual), or perhaps they're not really listening to you, they're just smiling and nodding and saying "Oh, I agree!" at the appropriate pauses in your babbling. I know that's what I do. >=P
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:19 am

Amb, do you mean "in particular"?

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:35 am

Hellmark wrote:Amb, do you mean "in particular"?
Geez, you're on the ball today, farmboy...
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:49 am

Venomous wrote:
Well, was trying to figure out what real words and phrases would match "imperticular"

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:23 am

Hellmark wrote:
Venomous wrote:
Well, was trying to figure out what real words and phrases would match "imperticular"
And I guess you just totally missed (and are still missing) the post I made an hour prior to yours, in which I said:-
Venomous wrote:where you're saying "imperticular", I believe you're trying to say "in particular"
The reason I mocked you is because you just repeated something I'd already pointed out an hour beforehand. Like, duh, dude. =)
- Venomous -

Social Deviancy