rock & roll heroes

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

rock & roll heroes

Post by Hero of the Day » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:02 am

this is just a basic list of who I consider to be true heros or pioneers of rock

<b>Link Wray:</b> Rock guitar legend. Truly rock would not be what it is today, if not for his groundbreaking invention of "fuzz tone" amd Power Chords.
Before this electric guitars produced a smooth clean sound.

<b>Jimi Hendrix:</b> Though the guitar god only had a single number 1 song (a cover of Bob Dylan's "all along the watchtower"; almost everyone knows his name. He is undoubtedly the greatest guitarist rock has ever seen, and millions have tried to follow in his footsteps.

<b>Led Zeppelin:</b> They laid the groundwork for every single metal act that has came sense. <U>Led Zeppelin vol 4</U>(aka "ZOSO') Contained practically every kind of metal know to man. Also "Black Dog" is the original rap metal song.

<b> Kurt Cobain:</B> The man single handedly invented a new genre of music, and inspired countless imitators (Pearl Jam). Unfortunatelly grunge went mainstream which was against everything it was about. Rather than see his vision further destroyed, he took his own life.

<b> Bob Dylan:</b> A rocker for the common man, many of his songs could be percieved as protest songs. However his music was about the common man and was acessible to the common man.

<b> Bob Seger: </b> A rocker for the working man who enjoyed limited sucess outside of the midwestern united states. "Like a Rock" truly is the working mans anthem; while "Turn the Page" deals with the hardships of life on the road.

<b> Metallica:</b> They have dealt with things (deaths, members leaving, alcholism, etc) that would have destroyed many. They singlehandedly provided the catalyst to bring down the Glam Metal that was in vogue at the time. With song topics ranging from nuclear apocalypse ("Fight Fire with Fire"), death by electric chair ("Ride the Lightning"), heroin addiction (the hard charging "Master of Puppets"), corrupt justice ("...And Justice for All"), and many more.
Confidence comes in a brown bottle.

Venomous
Site Admin

Re: rock & roll heroes

Post by Venomous » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:02 am

Hero of the Day wrote:<b> Metallica:</b> They have dealt with things (deaths, members leaving, alcholism, etc) that would have destroyed many. They singlehandedly provided the catalyst to bring down the Glam Metal that was in vogue at the time. With song topics ranging from nuclear apocalypse ("Fight Fire with Fire"), death by electric chair ("Ride the Lightning"), heroin addiction (the hard charging "Master of Puppets"), corrupt justice ("...And Justice for All"), and many more.
Not to mention the way they bravely fought against the odds when the evils of Napster threatened to steal the very food from their mouths and doom them to lives of being poor wandering minstrels... and the way they so smoothly adapted to the ever evolving, genre-blurring music industry of the 21st century by partnering up with black rapper Ja Rule in an attempt to break into other audiences... >=P

{evil smirk} >=)
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Hellmark
Pissed Off Gimp Farmboy

Post by Hellmark » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:31 pm

Early metallica is way different than newer metallica.

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:28 pm

That's usually how any band is...

MOST of the time, older is better than newer, but some new stuff is just as good as the old.

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Re: rock & roll heroes

Post by Hero of the Day » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:12 pm

Venomous wrote:... and the way they so smoothly adapted to the ever evolving, genre-blurring music industry of the 21st century by partnering up with black rapper Ja Rule in an attempt to break into other audiences... >=P
{evil smirk} >=)
I wouldnt exactly call that partnering
Metallica and JaRule did not work in the studio together. Swizz Beatz just sampled a few Metallica riffs and JaRule rapped over it.

Venomous
Site Admin

Post by Venomous » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:20 am

Hellmark wrote:Early metallica is way different than newer metallica.
MP81 wrote:MOST of the time, older is better than newer, but some new stuff is just as good as the old.
Hero of the Day wrote:I wouldnt exactly call that partnering
Metallica and JaRule did not work in the studio together. Swizz Beatz just sampled a few Metallica riffs and JaRule rapped over it.
Meh, I wouldn't know, by that stage, I just lost all respect for Metallica. I love their old shit, I believe they are truly one of the most defining bands of modern rock and an invaluable contribution to the evolution of music as we know it, but I'll never buy one of their CDs in a store, that's for sure.

Course, I'm not one of those tools that will totally boycott a band because they made a few of what I personally would consider to be poor decisions... nothing they've done recently changes the fact that their older stuff makes for fantastic listening.
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Hero of the Day
Desperately Bored Loser

Post by Hero of the Day » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:55 am

well IMO the top two albums were Master of Puppets and Metallica

some of their newer material is ok, not great but listenable.
St. Anger was a dissapointment due to 0 guitar solos

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:02 pm

No guitar solos? Well, that makes me sad. I LOVE guitar solos...Hence is why I listin to Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, some Metallica (only have a couple solos)...