Someone threw up a Rainbow on my monitor.

Completely off-topic conversational diarrhea that the rest of the internet won't let you post anywhere because it's so pointless and irrelevant to anything important.
Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Someone threw up a Rainbow on my monitor.

Post by Mythic » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:47 pm

I've been on a mission the last few days for a hosting provider. Not just any server will do. It must be a Linux-user based Virtual Private Server. 1st of all, this market is extremely overly saturated. There are so many re-sellers and re-sellers selling already re-sold accounts that it is near impossible to find the backbone of any of the services as most of them do not require disclosure. Second of all, about 90% of the sites are in extremely bad taste. I'm at the point that when a page starts loading and I see orange, yellow or red anywhere on my screen, I already know this is not what I'm looking for. The sites are notoriously (with some exceptions) too "busy" looking, badly laid out, hard to find information, full of flashing banners that put you at risk for a seizure. In short, I feel more like I'm buying a ticket for the circus from a clown than I do a service that needs to be taken seriously from a respectable company. It's like getting healthcare from someone with a diploma from Quacks-R-Us University.

I've not known much about the business until the last few days, in which time I've walked away with these lessons:

1.) Do not purchase web hosting from any site that has more than two primary colors, in fact, it's best to stay away from the brighter primary colors at all costs. Sites with nice, aesthetic colors and a decent logo that are obviously profesionally built or built by someone with talent and do not distract you to the point of not being able to find what you are looking for tend to come off as more respectable. That's not to say that they are, just they have a better chance than the Bozos.

2.) Any site that uses repeatedly blinking banner ads designed to make you homicidal (especially if they make noise) is a joke.

3.) Very few sites actually offer information on their server specifications. What brand to they use? What processors? How fast are the processors? Are there enough resources on the server to support all the users? What does 24/7 tech support mean? All I saw was an e-mail address, don't tell me that was IT?? Many of these sites offer absolutely no information that you can hold them to if your service sucks. All you get are details like these: "WOW!! 10gigs of space!" "FREE domain registration!" ( I actually saw one that said "Domain registration now only $60!!") Like those specs are impossible to find!! The same signs are plastered all over the place!

3.) Just because the site is listed under a VPS directory, does not make it so. Many sites hope that you will look past that fact and just assume that they are VPS hosts, but when you get to looking, it is just shared storage after all.

4.) Why make it so hard to find what you are looking for?? Many sites use roll-over directories that are obscure. Developers should have their sites tested by different people to make sure that they are user-friendly and they get them where they want to go. It should never take more than 3 clicks to get anywhere in a site, links should be noticeable and in a logical place and should not take 5 minutes to find the right one.

I could go on and on here. But the more of these sites that I see, the more they disgust me.

I'd sooner buy Web Hosting from Barnum and Bailey than these jokers.
Last edited by Mythic on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Dancing in the Shadows.

MP81
Chronic Spammer

Post by MP81 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:28 pm

For Shizzle...

Buying anything from most sites like that is a bad idea...

Venomous
Site Admin

Re: Someone threw up a Rainbow on my monitor.

Post by Venomous » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:51 pm

Kristi wrote:I've been on a mission the last few days for a hosting provider. Not just any server will do. It must be a Linux-user based Virtual Private Server. 1st of all, this market is extremely overly saturated. There are so many re-sellers and re-sellers selling already re-sold accounts that it is near impossible to find the backbone of any of the services as most of them do not require disclosure. Second of all, about 90% of the sites are in extremely bad taste. I'm at the point that when a page starts loading and I see orange, yellow or red anywhere on my screen, I already know this is not what I'm looking for. The sites are notoriously (with some exceptions) too "busy" looking, badly laid out, hard to find information, full of flashing banners that put you at risk for a seizure. In short, I feel more like I'm buying a ticket for the circus from a clown than I do a service that needs to be taken seriously from a respectable company. It's like getting healthcare from someone with a diploma from Quacks-R-Us University.
Baby, you just described 80% of the entire internet. As far as I'm concerned, if a site isn't black or close-to-black text on a white background, or white or close-to-white text on a black background, it's fucked up and I aint reading it. Damn, that reminds me! I have some pages to put up here on SocDev that you guys will love...
Kristi wrote:1.) Do not purchase web hosting from any site that has more than two primary colors, in fact, it's best to stay away from the brighter primary colors at all costs. Sities with nice aesthetic colors and a decent logo that are obviously proffesionally built or built by someone with talent and do not distract you to the point of not being able to find what you are looking for tend to come off as more respectable. That's not to say that they are, just they have a better chance than the Bozos.
Again - do not purchase ANYTHING from sites like this!! Boycot bad taste!
Kristi wrote:2.) Any site that uses repeatedly blinking banner ads designed to make you homicidal (especially if they make noise) is a joke.
I, as a rule, don't even VISIT sites like this. If a site has a Flash advertisement, any kind of audio whatsoever, or in any other way looks like it was designed by CJJ, I stay right the hell away.
Kristi wrote:3.) Very few sites actually offer information on their server specifications. What brand to they use? What processors? How fast are the processors? Are there enough resources on the server to support all the users? What does 24/7 tech support mean? All I saw was an e-mail address, don't tell me that was IT?? Many of these sites offer absolutley no information that you can hold them to if your service sucks. All you get are details like these: "WOW!! 10gigs of space!" "FREE domain registration!" ( I actually saw one that said "Domain registration now only $60!!") Like those specs are impossible to find!! The same signs are plastered all over the place!
Welcome to internet business, kiddo. It's a cold, grey, blurry little world, where morals and ethics have been replaced by spam and popups.
Kristi wrote:3.) Just because the site is listed under a VPS directory, does not make it so. Many sites hope that you will look past that fact and just assume that they are VPS hosts, but when you get to looking, it is just shared storage after all.
Heh, you had two #3's. =P
Kristi wrote:4.) Why make it so hard to find what you are looking for?? Many sites use roll-over directories that are obscure. Developers should have their sites tested by different people to make sure that they are user-friendly and they get them where they want to go. It should never take more than 3 clicks to get anywhere in a site, links should be noticeable and in a logical place and should not take 5 minutes to find the right one.
Seems illogical, doesn't it? The logical conclusion would be that full disclosure + easy to navigate information = more customers = more income. However so many businesses these days seem to be almost deliberately trying to withhold information, and what information they DO disclose, they bury or hide in ridiculously complex websites. How this is good for business I may never come to understand...
Kristi wrote:I could go on and on here. But the more of these sites that I see, the more they disgust me.
Heh, once again, that's how I feel about the whole internet most days. =P

How many (approximately, for obvious reasons) providers do you think you've looked at so far? Only to have found a grand total of TWO suitable ones... =|

We need to start up an online directory of internet service providers, that rates/ranks them on more than just their pricing and specs, but on other important factors like their support, uptime, reliability, site user-friendlyness =), and so on.. that would be a good business, I think...
- Venomous -

The internet is a tool, and so are most of the people who use it...

Social Deviancy

Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Post by Mythic » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:20 am

I was actually considering making a database of the info I was getting, so if nothing else I could keep up with sites that I've already been to. But yeah, if it helped someone out, publishing it would be great.

*edited for typos.

Mythic
Lonely Lamer

Post by Mythic » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:37 am

And as far as how many sites I've been to, to find the 2 possibilities:- I've spent over 10 hours at this point clicking link after link, and immediately disposing of most of them right off of the bat. So I would say well into the hundreds.